Recap of EventWatch the video of the 50th Anniversary Gala
A SPECIAL THANKS TO THE ATTENDEES AND OUR SPONSORS
More Than 800 Attendees @ COM 2011 – 50TH Anniversary, Held with World Gold
Celebrating The History And Poised For The Future!
Take our Survey
The year 2011 marks the 50th Anniversary of MetSoc's Annual Conference of Metallurgists (COM 2011). Unlike any other year we had a varied of events and activities to highlight the 50th Anniversary Celebrations. Such activities as the Gala Celebrations honouring the Past Presidents and the Commemorative Book on the Canadian Metallurgical and Materials Landscape from 1965 – 2011.
The General plenary included industry speakers such as:
- Chris Twigge-Molecey, Hatch, CIM Past President
- Jean Simon, Rio Tinto, President Primary Metal - North America
- NRU Operations: Sandra Celovsky, AECL
- Fathi Habashi, Universite Laval
- Barbara Kirby, Mining Industry Human Resources Council (MiHR), Senior Director Workforce Development
- Peter Kinver, EVP and COO, Barrick Gold Corporation
- David Harquail, President and CEO of Franco-Nevada
- Gordon Stothart, EVP and COO, IamGold Corporation
- Sean Roosen, President and CEO, Osisko Mining Corporation.
- World Gold
- Light Metals
- Waste Recycling in Mineral & Metallurgical Industries
- New Technology Implementation in Metallurgical Processes
- Materials - Innovations in Joining of Advanced Materials
- Managing Through Recession.
COM 2011 also hosted a number of short courses and industrial tours which mirrored the technical program themes.
Other programs included an expanded student program which highlighted a round table discussion and a special invited speaker on Wednesday. Also, for the 2nd time COM hosted a REGAL (Regroupement Aluminium) Poster Session which was held in conjuction with the COM Poster Session.
A special thanks to students who joined us for COM 2011 and presented papers, participated in the poster session, or helped with technical sessions.
I would like to thank all of those that were involved in the organization of the conference and who have dedicated many hours to its success. In particular, I thank the authors of the many papers and presentations for their efforts in producing a fine technical program. My special thanks to the members of the organizing committee who have worked very hard to bring all aspects of planning a conference together. I also recognize and thank the financial sponsors, co-organizers, and co-sponsoring societies of the technical and conference program. The success of COM 2011 was a true measure of the strength of MetSoc and our ability to link with a global network of members and partners.
Cesar Inostroza, Conference Chair
MetSoc of CIM President
Take our Survey
Proceedings are being Finalized by the Organizing Committee. Shipping is Estimated at 4-8 Weeks.