Position open: Editor for the Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly
The Metallurgy and Materials Society (MetSoc) of the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy, and Petroleum (CIM) is seeking a new Editor for its journal, the Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly (CMQ)
Devoted to the science, practice and technology of metallurgy and materials, the CMQ provides a forum for the discussion and presentation of both basic and applied research developments. All areas of this field are of interest, including extractive metallurgy, materials characterization and processing, physical metallurgy, the service behaviour of materials and mineral processing. MetSoc values diversity, and our goal is to maintain an editorial team that is representative of the community.
Editor of CMQ Position responsibilities
The new Editor will take overall management responsibility for the CMQ, including
- Defining directions in regard to content, paper handling, publication standards and supervision of the associate editors.
- Managing the central activity of screening all incoming papers, distributing these to associate editors for peer review as appropriate, making final decisions on the acceptability of manuscripts, and tracking issues for continuous improvement.
- Managing the solicitation of special content for the journal.
- Engaging in community activities on behalf of the journal when required.
- Management of your editorial office and editorial contractors.
- Providing a report to the MetSoc Publications Chair once a year.
Term of Office
The term of the position is three (3) years. The term begins officially on January 1st, 2022 to December 31st, 2025, but a transition with the current Editor is planned for the latter half of 2021.
The expectation is that the editor would be able to devote significant effort each week to the position (approximately 4 hours per week). The position comes with an annual honorarium of $10,000.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send a full-form academic CV, a short summary of their experience with CMQ and/or other academic journals covering the same or similar science fields, and a cover letter detailing their interest and proposed new directions that they would hope to champion for the journal. References are welcome. It is anticipated that successful applicant will be in a senior academic position or an equivalent position at a public or private research and development institute.
Please submit your application documents to email@example.com. Applications will be screened continuously, but to ensure that yours is given full consideration, please submit before May 31, 2021.
La/le candidat doit avoir une connaissance approfondie de la langue anglaise, ainsi cette annonce est rédiger en anglais seulement.