Emerging Professionals Development Program – Application
The Emerging Professionals (EP) Development Program has been created by the Metallurgy and Materials Society (MetSoc) of CIM to enhance the opportunities for “Emerging Professionals” who have recently entered or re-entered into their careers in the Canadian metallurgy or materials sector. This program helps emerging professionals to engage with our Society, participate in Society activities, become better acquainted with each other and make important contacts with CIM and MetSoc leaders over a period of two years. The EP Program inspires new and returning graduates to envision themselves as future leaders in their field.
Over the course of two years, EPs and MetSoc members will embark on an exciting journey of partnership, reflection, coaching, and inspiration.
Call for application open until March 1, 2021
Details to the application process found at the bottom of the page.
Criteria- what it takes to be the next Emerging Professional
- Want to make things happen in their society
- Value community and professional involvement
- Work in collaboration with others to accomplish goals
- Commit to personal growth and developing leadership qualities
- Our Professionals in the first five years of their career or
- Are Professional in the first five years of returning from a career absence
- Are Professionals located in Canada
Annual Benefits to the EP recipient (for a period of two years)
- Free registration to attend COM
- Complimentary gala ticket at COM and seat at the VIP table
- Travel subsidy to attend COM
- Subsidy to attend one short course per year given at COM.
The EPs will be selected yearly by the Metallurgy & Materials Society. The evaluation will be based on the quality of the application and the reference letters. Factors that will be considered:
- Do you demonstrate initiative and leadership? (at school, in the community or civic organizations, in internships or work experiences)
- Do you demonstrate collaboration with others to accomplish goals?
- Have you demonstrated that you value community and professional involvement?
Responsibilities of the recipient
Those selected to join the Emerging Professional (EP) program will be responsible for:
- The approval of their supervisor/superior to participate
- Attending both Conference of Metallurgists as an EP in the time they are in the program
- Providing feedback and testimonials for MetSoc and to others as requested by MetSoc
- Purchasing their CIM membership (discounted) for the two-year period
The EP may be called upon to mentor someone in the future.
Please submit your package via our online nomination process by the deadline.
- Resume: Please attach a professional resume including education, work experience, and community involvement.
- Two letters of reference: A “Letter of Reference Cover Sheet” link is available EP_Letter_of_reference_CoverSheet. Please provide a copy of this to your referees. At least one letter must be from your current employer and the other can be from an academic or professional colleague. Attach his/her letter to your application.
- A short response to the following questions (no more than ~300 words in total):
- Why are you interested in being a MetSoc EP?
- What are your expectations of the program and what do you hope to gain from your participation?
- A cover letter with two areas of interest from this list (by order of preference):
- Light Metals
- Mineral Processing
Questions and comments please contact Brigitte Farah, Managing Director at firstname.lastname@example.org