MetSoc Award for research excellence
Sponsored by Rio Tinto
The MetSoc Research Excellence Award was established by the Aluminum Company of Canada Limited for “a highly significant contribution to the field of metallurgy” and it is now supported by Rio Tinto.
The MetSoc Award is the premier award for contribution to the metallurgy or materials field by an academic or research scientist in any Canadian research laboratory or Canadian university. The award recognizes a lifetime contribution in teaching and research or outstanding individual work resulting in a significant breakthrough in the metallurgy or materials practices.
All nominees must have a minimum of five years of CIM National membership and be in good standing. The contributions and impact must be to the benefit of Canada.
There is no cash prize to this award.
Nominator uploads either a concise CV of nominee or in the case of process, a recent paper, relevant to the process being nominated, to the web site. Nominator/co-nominators should consider approaching nominees themselves to request the CV. In the case of a process the recent paper is likely already available. The CV should contain the following information:
- Major contributions relevant to the award
- A record of at least five relevant patents and papers authored by the nominee plus a count of other patents and papers.
- A service history related to CIM/MetSoc if applicable
- A record of the years of membership in CIM.
- A listing of volunteer activities if applicable
- A listing of awards previously received
- A listing of academic achievements
If the CV does not contain all items, the nominator should fill in the online form the information in the Contributions text box (this will be available in the software system when the Call opens).
- Each award shall be made from time to time as circumstances warrant with no more than one award recipient per year.
- The nominators are responsible for verifying that all conditions of the award have been satisfied and all procedures were properly followed in making the nomination.
- All nominations will stand for three years.
- The adjudication of the award shall be made by the MetSoc Awards Committee of The Metallurgy and Materials Society of CIM.
- The award shall be presented at the Awards Banquet of the Conference of Metallurgists.
- Posthumous awards will be allowed only if the candidate has already been shortlisted.
- Self nominations are not permitted.