The call for nominations for 2023 is closed.
Click on the title of each award for information including its description, criteria, and nomination process.
Not all awards are open to general submissions, please consult the list below.
The MetSoc head office administers these awards.
- THE METSOC AIREY AWARD
- THE METSOC AWARD FOR RESEARCH EXCELLENCE
- THE METSOC SILVER MEDAL (not open to general nominations)
- THE METSOC BRIMACOMBE AWARD
- THE METSOC SUSTAINABILITY AWARD
- THE METSOC INNOVATION AWARD (group recognition)
- SPECIAL AWARDS
METSOC TECHNICAL SECTION AWARDS
Various sections of MetSoc administer these awards.
- METSOC DISTINGUISHED MATERIALS SCIENTIST AWARD
- METSOC ENGINEER IN MATERIALS INNOVATION AWARD
- SHERRITT HYDROMETALLURGY AWARD
- LIGHT METALS BEST PAPER AWARD (not open to general nominations)
- PYROMETALLURGY BEST PAPER AWARD (not open to general nominations)
- METSOC BEST PAPER AWARD (not open to general nominations)
MetSoc of CIM and its sections offer students scholarship awards.
- MetSoc Doctoral Scholarship
- MetSoc Master’s Scholarship
- MetSoc Undergraduate Scholarship
- MetSoc Pyrometallurgy Student Award
- MetSoc Sustainability Scholarship
- Hydrometallurgy Scholarships
METSOC 2023 AWARDS COMMITTEE
2023 AWARDS CHAIR
Chris Pickles, Queen’s University
Dogan Paktunc, CanmetMINING
Joel Kapusta, BBA
Mike Dry, Arithmetek
Mihaiela Isac, McGill University
Julie Levesque, Cégep de Trois-RivièresClod Aranas, University of New Brunswick-Canada
Wenying Liu, The University of British Columbia
Jean-Francois Boulanger, Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue
After ensuring that all conditions of the award have been satisfied and that the procedures were followed, the Awards Chair forwards the nomination and its supporting documentation to the MetSoc Awards Committee.
- The awards committee will review the submissions and prepare a short list of candidates for each award.
- A teleconference will be held and, if required, prepare a list of questions to be sent back to the original nominators via the selected person from the secretariat. Ie. a person must fill out further endorsements or letters attached.
- Before voting takes place the awards committee discusses the various short-listed nominees and answers to any questions.
- The nominations are then put to a vote by ballot will of the committee. The ballot must include a “no award” option.
The CIM (parent Society of MetSoc) also offers a recognition program to members.
Please refer to the CIM website for complete details.
These awards are presented at the Canadian Materials Science Conference.
Please refer to the CMSC website for complete details.