MetSoc Distinguished Materials Scientist Award
The award recognizes highly significant contributions in the field of materials engineering. The Materials Science and Engineering Section of The Metallurgy & Materials Society of CIM administers the award.
Frank Cheng, University of Calgary
Citation: In recognition as a world renowned researcher in corrosion science and engineering of pipelines.
1979 – J.D. Embury
1980 – E.C.W. Perryman
1981 – E.G. Behal
1982 – J.J. Jonas
1983 – D.B. McCutcheon
1984 – J.A. Schey
1985 – A. Mitchell
1986 – J.D. Boyd
1987 – L.R. Morris
1988 – G.C. Weatherly
1989 – W. Wallace
1990 – D.J. Lloyd
1991 – W.R. Tyson
1992 – I. Ritchie
1993 – J.E. Gruzleski
1994 – J.I. Dickson
1995 – B. Hawbolt
1996 – S.R. MacEwen1997 – M. Sahoo
1998 – R.A.L. Drew
1999 – I.V. Samarasekera
2000 – U. Erb
2001 – G. Palumbo
2002 – M. Chaturvedi
2003 – S. Yue
2004 – D. Wilkinson
2005 – H. King
2006 – H. Mostaghaci
2007 – M. Militzer
2008 – F. Ajersch
2009 – Gary R. Purdy
2010 – No Award
2011 – Arthur Pelton
2012 – Michel Rigaud
2013 – A. McLean
2014 – R. Ravindran
2015 – A. Alfantazi
2016 – D. Chen
2017 – P. Wanjara
2018 – Xinjin Cao
2019 – Frank Cheng
Nominator uploads either a concise CV of nominee or in the case of process, a recent paper, relevant to the process being nominated, to the web site. Nominator/co-nominators should consider approaching nominees themselves to request the CV. In the case of a process the recent paper is likely already available. The CV should contain the following information:
- Major contributions relevant to the award
- A record of at least five relevant patents and papers authored by the nominee plus a count of other patents and papers.
- A service history related to CIM/MetSoc if applicable
- A record of the years of membership in CIM.
- A listing of volunteer activities if applicable
- A listing of awards previously received
- A listing of academic achievements
If the CV does not contain all items, the nominator should fill in the online form the information in the Contributions text box (this will be available in the software system when the Call opens).
- A nominator can put forward only one candiddate up for nomination in each award category. NEW AS OF year 2020
- Each award shall be made from time to time as circumstances warrant with no more than one award recipient per year.
- The nominators are responsible for verifying that all conditions of the award have been satisfied and all procedures were properly followed in making the nomination.
- All nominations will stand for three years.
- The adjudication of the award shall be made by the MetSoc Awards Committee of The Metallurgy and Materials Society of CIM.
- The award shall be presented at the Awards Banquet of the Conference of Metallurgists.
- Posthumous awards will be allowed only if the candidate has already been shortlisted.
- Self nominations are not permitted.