MetSoc Environmental Award
This award was created by Teck in order to promote innovation and development in the field of environmental control technology for the metallurgical industry in Canada. Future advances in the industry depend on the development of environmentally safe technologies. The award recognizes significant contributions to the field of environmental science and engineering and sustainable development in the metallurgical industry.
The Metallurgy and Materials Society of CIM administers the award. The award can be given to an individual or a group of individuals.
All individual nominees must have a minimum of five years of CIM National membership and be in good standing. The contributions and impact must be to the benefit of Canada.
2004 – M. Sudbury
2005 – M. Kalin
2006 – R. Rao
2007 – L. Amaratunga
2008 – G. Monteith
2009 – No award
2010 – C. Pickles
2011 – R. Lawrence
2012 – V.I Lakshmanan
2013 – Z. Xu
2014 – G.P. Demopoulos
2015 – C. Jia
2016 – no award
2017 – P.Queneau
Nominator uploads either a concise CV of nominee or in the case of process, a recent paper, relevant to the process being nominated, to the web site. Nominator/co-nominators should consider approaching nominees themselves to request the CV. In the case of a process the recent paper is likely already available. The CV should contain the following information:
- Major contributions relevant to the award
- A record of at least five relevant patents and papers authored by the nominee plus a count of other patents and papers.
- A service history related to CIM/MetSoc if applicable
- A record of the years of membership in CIM.
- A listing of volunteer activities if applicable
- A listing of awards previously received
- A listing of academic achievements
If the CV does not contain all items, the nominator should fill in the online form the information in the Contributions text box (this will be available in the software system when the Call opens).
- Each award shall be made from time to time as circumstances warrant with no more than one award recipient per year.
- The nominators are responsible for verifying that all conditions of the award have been satisfied and all procedures were properly followed in making the nomination.
- All nominations will stand for three years.
- The adjudication of the award shall be made by the MetSoc Awards Committee of The Metallurgy and Materials Society of CIM.
- The award shall be presented at the Awards Banquet of the Conference of Metallurgists.
- Posthumous awards will be allowed only if the candidate has already been shortlisted.
- Self nominations are not permitted.