MetSoc Innovation Award
Origin of the Innovation Award
The purpose of the Innovation award is to support the important role of innovation as a fundamental foundation for the development and growth of the Canadian metallurgical and materials industries. The award, sponsored by Hatch, recognizes outstanding innovation in the industry, specifically innovations that are implemented and practiced commercially and to which a company or group of individuals are the prime contributors.
This award is supported by:
The innovation to be rewarded should have been successfully adapted in a commercial scale operation. Recognizing the long lead-time to industrial acceptance of an innovation, a 15-year maximum duration from first demonstration should be used as a guideline. The contributions and impact must be to the benefit of Canada.
2021 Award Recipient
1989 – Stelco Inc. (Stelco Coilbox)
1990 – Inco Limited (Pressure Carbonyl Process)
1991 – G. Savard and R. Lee (Annular Tuyere)
1992 – Sherritt Gordon Limited (Zinc Pressure Leach Process)
1993 – Noranda Minerals Inc. (Noranda Process)
1994 – Hatch Associates Limited (Solid Copper Cooling Systems for Furnace Refractory Protection)
1995 – Timminco Metals and L.M. Pidgeon (The Pidgeon Magnesium Process)
1996 – No award
1997 – Inco Limited (The Oxygen Flash Smelting Process)
1998 – Noranda Inc. (The Gaspe Puncher)
1999 – Facility for the Analysis of Chemical Thermodynamics (The F*A*C*T Computational System)
2000 – Kidd Metallurgy Division of Falconbridge Ltd. (Kidd Process Technology)
2001 – No Award
2002 – QIT-Fer et Titane
2003 – CEZinc (Jarofix Process)
2004 – Dynatec
2005 – Eco-Tec (Acid Purification Unit)
2006 – Inco Ltd. (SO2/Air Cyanide Destruction Process)
2007 – McGill Gas Dispersion Sensor Technology
2008 – No Award
2009 – Shrouded Tuyere Slag-Make Converting Process (Air Liquide and Xstrata Nickel)
2010 – No award
2011 – No award
2012 – Hatch Autoclave Technology Group
2013 – Liquid Metal Cleanliness Analyzer system (MMPC, Rio Tinto Alcan and ABB)
2014 – No Winner
2015 – SART Process(developed by Lakefield Research Ltd)
2016 – Calcium Thiosulphate Leaching of Gold Process (Barrick Gold)
2017 – Advanced KIVCET™ Technology with Continuous Drossing and Slag Fuming, developed by Teck
2018 – Acousto Ultrasonic-Echo (AU-E) non-destructive testing (NDT) technique developed in Canada by Dr. Sadri and the Hatch NDT team
2019 – Hot Cure Process (Barrick technology)
Please refer to the METSOC AWARDS page for details on nomination dates and deadlines.
Nominator uploads either a concise CV of nominee or in the case of process, a recent paper, relevant to the process being nominated, to the web site. Nominator/co-nominators should consider approaching nominees themselves to request the CV. In the case of a process the recent paper is likely already available. The CV should contain the following information:
- Major contributions relevant to the award
- A record of at least five relevant patents and papers authored by the nominee plus a count of other patents and papers.
- NEW as of year 2020: one letter of support from either the users of the technology or an expert of the field
- A nominator can put forward only one candidate up for nomination in each award category (as of 2020).
- No Member of the Executive Board shall be nominated while in office. The nomination will be held until the term on the executive board is expired.
- Each award shall be made from time to time as circumstances warrant with no more than one award recipient per year.
- The nominators are responsible for verifying that all conditions of the award have been satisfied and all procedures were properly followed in making the nomination.
- All nominations will stand for three years.
- The adjudication of the award shall be made by the MetSoc Awards Committee of The Metallurgy and Materials Society of CIM.
- The award shall be presented at the Awards Banquet of the Conference of Metallurgists.
- Posthumous awards will be allowed only if the candidate has already been shortlisted.
- Self nominations are permitted for the innovation award (you are permitted to submit an innovation of your company).