MetSoc Sustainability Scholarship
Purpose of the Scholarship
MetSoc’s Sustainability Section is passionately committed to creating a more sustainable global metallurgical and materials industry. The scholarship aims to encourage graduate studies in technical and environmental areas in the metallurgical and materials industry (i.e., research focused on the development of environmental practices and standards).
One award shall be made each year. However, the Award Committee may decide not to make an award if a suitable recipient is not identified. The value of the scholarship is a single payment of $5,000 CAD. The amount of the award is reviewed annually by the Sustainability Section of MetSoc. No single individual should hold more than one scholarship award within MetSoc including its Technical sections in a given year.
To be eligible the candidate should be registered in a Masters or Ph.D. program during the entire 2022/2023 academic year in a Canadian university.
Applications must include:
1) A copy of the applicant’s academic transcripts
2) A summary of the project, including preliminary results, a discussion concerning subsequent project orientation, and a list of prepared publications or conference presentations (2-3 pages maximum)
Please refer to the REQUIREMENTS & PROCESS FOR NOMINATION webpage.
- Impact of research on the sustainability of the metallurgical and materials industry
- Superior academic ability
- Creative and original thinking
- Involvement in school or industry activities
Information for the Student Scholarship Recipients
The Award shall be presented at the Conference of Metallurgists. At that time, the recipient may be requested to speak on a subject of major interest to him/her in the field of metallurgy.
We encourage student recipients to apply for student travel funding (if travel is more than 500km) through the MetSoc Student program to help subsidize travel costs. The Sustainability section may grant the student recipients a complimentary ticket for the award banquet.